artsy

artsy

Monday, January 28, 2013

Bubble Wrap Appreciation Day


Today is also National Blueberry Pancake Day. I had cereal instead and then went out, brushed off the two inches of snow accumulated on my car, and sloooooooowly drove to school. 

Then the pretty snow turned into disgusting cold rain, so I took a nap when I got home. 

Speaking of bubble wrap...doesn't it seem like sometimes a whole roll isn't enough? When I get stressed I always wish for some of the stuff so I can pop each and every bubble...one by one. I do have some in my desk drawer. Ben gave it to me so I could get my snarkyness out on something and not grump to him (he's a smart man!)

But I keep it there in my drawer to remind me that there is always someone out there in a worse situation than me that could use the bubble wrap more than me. Granted, Ben and I haven't exactly had the best weekend in the world, and it would be sooooo easy to just pull my pile out and go to town, imagining certain things to be bubbles, popping them away angrily.

However, before I chose to do that, I looked for the bright spots we had in the past few days, as small as they might seem. I got to have a delicious mug of coffee with my mom. Ben and my brother had a lively talk about Game of Thrones and where it might go this season. Ben showed me his childhood "lovey": a large and floppy brown bear named Bear-Fur. Kathryn and I talked all about room design. And we played a rousing board game where Jet magazine and Born Blond were shouted out excitedly (if you haven't played The Logo Game, you need to right now).

In the sermon we heard on Sunday, the pastor talked about road signs. In situations that might give stress, take a step back. There might be a detour waiting that has a more Godly answer than an angry response. 

I'll leave my bubble wrap in my drawer for today and instead choose to pay more attention to the good signs I see in my life. God's got a plan for it, after all. I need to choose to trust him and DETOUR! take a different path sometimes!

'For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.' Jeremiah 29:11

Happy Monday!

~A

No comments:

Post a Comment